Erasmus UK

• odakawoi

Baby lecteur

#1 13 Février 2011 11:01:11

Hi everybody,

Currently, I really think about using this programme (Erasmus) but, as many people before me, I have some troubles to choose my destination. Has anybody here gone to UK (or other) thanks to Erasmus ? Especially, if you have some informations to give about Sheffield, Salford, Wolverhampton...

Obviously, you just can share your experiences about your trips in generally :p I'm sure people would be delighted.
  • Lelf

A moitié noyé sous sa PAL

#2 14 Février 2011 13:43:04

I went to Newcastle, England, for my Erasmus.
    Nice University, nice little city, very international. I always see people say that they had trouble finding good food in the UK but I never ate much healthier than when I was in Newcastle. There was an "International Society" at the Uni that organized trips around England and Scotland. I visited London, York, Edinburgh and of course Newcastle with them.

I don't know the regions you talk about, sorry ^^

The people are nice in the UK. Not really the kind you comes to you and talk to you immediately, but if you take the first step, they're really opened.

I felt quite lonely while I was there because I was shy and not self confident. I didn't have friends with me, the french people I met were not really my type (=D) and I didn't dare to go out.
    But I really had a lot of fun at the Uni. I'll always remember my japanese lessons with my chinese fellows (very logical, while I was there to study agricultural sciences). :D
  • evertkhorus

Cajoleur de couvertures

#3 14 Février 2011 20:04:57

Hi Odakawoi!

Oh Erasmus! The best year of my life so far. I did it in Sweden, in a little town called VÄxjö. All the classes were in English so that's a big plus and everyone there speaks English, the cinema and TV is in original version so you can really get better in the language. But you also are in a country really different and more exotic than UK. I really had an amzing year, partying, travelling, meeting the most amazing people. I would recommend it to anybody.

Concerning the UK, I now live in London, that I would definitely recommend to live. It's very international and dynamic. I also know Edinburgh which is really really nice, Dublin, quite cool too and York which is more quiet.

If you have any question don't hesitate and if you cant to read an Erasmus blog : http://destinationvaxjo.canalblog.com
  • odakawoi

Baby lecteur

#4 15 Février 2011 17:45:40

Oh, a few people seem to have experiences abroad. Thanks for your stories, Lelf & ever'. But, evertkhorus, if you now live in London : do you know Westminster ? I could go there with the Erasmus Programme, but I don't really know this area of Central London.

Dernière modification par odakawoi (15 Février 2011 17:47:32)

• Laeti85

Livraddictien débutant

#5 10 Janvier 2012 22:43:36

Hi!

I went to Oxford with Erasmus, it was a great experience because I think you learn better while living in the country. People are open-minded and the food is pretty good. Besides, there are a lot of stuff you don't find here. Plymouth and Cornwall are worth visiting for their beautiful landscapes.

I know Wolverhampton because I stayed there a few days, it was great but I prefer Oxford.

All in all, England is a beautiful country, and if you like going out, enjoying yourself then, it is definitely the place to go. England has also a good reputation for having good universities (and it is true!)

Did you go to England?
  • AnnaGlasgow

Useur de marque-pages

#6 06 Mars 2012 15:15:28

Sheffield is a great place to study. Newcastle is too and Glasgow is the best! London is far too expensive though, well... according to me.
  • Rose Lazare

Petit joueur sur les mots

#7 07 Mars 2012 19:27:14

Hello,

I didn't do Erasmus but I had a chance to be a French Assistant in Oundle,England. It's about 45 mins up North of Cambridge. It was the best year of my life! I had a hell of a time!
    My job consisted in having conversation lessons in French with groups of 2-3 pupils in order for them to practice for their A-Level!

I had a friend based in Salford and she really enjoyed working them, only thing you have to get used to the Nothern accent!
  • Ellison

A la découverte des livres

#8 30 Juin 2012 22:34:34

I'll go to Durham (England) with Erasmus in september. I can't wait.

Dernière modification par Ellison (10 Août 2012 13:46:30)

• kllouche

Passionné du papier

#9 09 Juillet 2012 14:02:00

I see some people will go to England with the Erasmus program in September.
    I will go to London myself, at UCL. Does anyone have tips to give us?

Especially about the language: I'm very bad in english and I'd like to know if the university offers classes of english for international students ...
  • Ourlig

Cajoleur de couvertures

#10 30 Septembre 2012 21:50:29

So Odakawoi, did you finally go abroad ?
    If so, where are you  and how are you coping with your new environment ?

I was an exchange student in Belfast, Northern Ireland in 2003-04 and it may not my best year so far but it's a very good one.
    Very friendly people (as long as you're not starting an argument over religion issues), very nice university, most of the other foreign students were studying Law or Physics and were from the U.S., Spain or France. The city itself isn't extraordinary but the West coast of Ireland is just magnificient.

I had the choice between Belfast, Lund, Sweden, which I didn't choose because I thought it would be difficult for the everyday life (because your baker or landlord or whoever you cross in the street asking for direction might not speak english at all) and Exeter, UK, which I didn't choose because "Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers" (Mark Renton, in Trainspotting)