[LC VO] Proposals for the next LC VO

• Miss Spooky Muffin

Mange-mots

#1 31 Mai 2011 12:08:09

Hello my little english-reading-darlings, after the last two more-or-less-successful LC in VO, it's time to come back with new proposals for the next one!

You can suggest as many titles as you want, if the book is not published in French it's even better but it's not a requirement either. For the date, let's take one that satisfies the most people - I would say around July but let us know what you'd like!

So as a start, here are a couple proposals from me:

<image>

It begins in the most boring place in the world: Chickentown, U.S.A. There lives Candy Quackenbush, her heart bursting for some clue as to what her future might hold. When the answer comes, it's not one she expects. Out of nowhere comes a wave, and Candy, led by a man called John Mischief (whose brothers live on the horns on his head), leaps into the surging waters and is carried away.

Where? To the ABARAT: a vast archipelago where every island is a different hour of the day, from The Great Head that sits in the mysterious twilight waters of Eight in the Evening, to the sunlit wonders of Three in the Afternoon, where dragons roam, to the dark terrors of Gorgossium, the island of Midnight, ruled over by the Prince of Midnight himself, Christopher Carrion.

Candy has a place in this extraordinary world: she is here to help save the Abarat from the dark forces that are stirring at its heart. Forces older than Time itself, and more evil than anything Candy has ever encountered.

This one is the first of a series, 2 are out and the 3rd one will be soon (I think there'll be 5 in total). It's one of my absolute favorite that I want to reread it anyway, a fantasy story with a lot of great characters and a wonderful universe. It's available in hardback and paperback, but the massmarket paperbacks are not illustrated and you lose half the charm without the author's illustrations.

Another:
    <image>

This is World War I as never seen before. The story begins the same: on June 28, 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife are assassinated, triggering a sequence of alliances that plunges the world into war. But that is where the similarity ends. This global conflict is between the Clankers, who put their faith in machines, and the Darwinists, whose technology is based on the development of new species. After the assassination of his parents, Prince Aleksandar's people turn on him. Accompanied by a small group of loyal servants, the young Clanker flees Austria in a Cyklop Stormwalker, a war machine that walks on two legs. Meanwhile, as Deryn Sharp trains to be an airman with the British Air Service, she prays that no one will discover that she is a girl. She serves on the Leviathan, a massive biological airship that resembles an enormous flying whale and functions as a self-contained ecosystem. When it crashes in Switzerland, the two teens cross paths, and suddenly the line between enemy and ally is no longer clearly defined. The ending leaves plenty of room for a sequel, and that's a good thing because readers will be begging for more. Enhanced by Thompson's intricate black-and-white illustrations, Westerfeld's brilliantly constructed imaginary world will capture readers from the first page. Full of nonstop action, this steampunk adventure is sure to become a classic.

(Sorry for the long summaries...) This one many of you probably knows it, it's available in French too, first book of a series with illustrations. I can't tell you how it is, I didn't read it, but it looks pretty nice - pretty heavy too, but available in paperback.

And last one:
    <image>

Can a ghost from the future save a life in the past? A chilling tale of dark forces and revenge! The ghost turns up one summer day, alone in a world she once knew, among people who were once her family. She knows she is one of four sisters, but which one? She can be sure of only one thing -- that there's been an accident. As she struggles to find her identity, she becomes aware of a malevolent force stirring around her. Something terrible is about to happen. One of the sisters will die -- unless the ghost can use the future to reshape the past. But how can she warn them, when they don't even know she exists?

I didn't take the first book of the Chrestomanci series because well, it's seven books altogether (which doesn't mean I don't wanna read it), but this one is a oneshot and looks pretty damn nice! (available in paperback of course)

Let's wait a week or so for everyone's proposals and we'll do the vote after that. Have fun!

Dernière modification par Miss Spooky Muffin (05 Octobre 2011 11:26:46)

• Flo_boss

Lecteur averti

#2 31 Mai 2011 13:50:33

Wow, thanks MSM, your suggestions already look... yummy! :)

So here are mine (you can click on the cover to reach the Livraddict page of the books):

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie

<image>

Exploring Indian identity, both self and tribal, Alexie's first young adult novel is a semiautobiographical chronicle of Arnold Spirit, aka Junior, a Spokane Indian from Wellpinit, WA. The bright 14-year-old was born with water on the brain, is regularly the target of bullies, and loves to draw. He says, "I think the world is a series of broken dams and floods, and my cartoons are tiny little lifeboats." He expects disaster when he transfers from the reservation school to the rich, white school in Reardan, but soon finds himself making friends with both geeky and popular students and starting on the basketball team. Meeting his old classmates on the court, Junior grapples with questions about what constitutes one's community, identity, and tribe. The daily struggles of reservation life and the tragic deaths of the protagonist's grandmother, dog, and older sister would be all but unbearable without the humor and resilience of spirit with which Junior faces the world.

> Already published in French, I've read many good reviews about this story.

----------------------------

The 10PM Question, by Kate De Goldi

<image>

Frankie Parsons is twelve going on old man: an apparently sensible, talented Year 8 with a drumbeat of worrying questions steadily gaining volume in his head: Are the smoke alarm batteries flat? Does the cat, and therefore the rest of the family, have worms? Will bird flu strike and ruin life as we know it? Is the kidney-shaped spot on his chest actually a galloping cancer? Most of the significant people in Frankie's world - his father, his brother and sister, his great-aunts, his best friend Gigs - seem gloriously untroubled by worry. Only Ma takes seriously his catalogue of persistent anxieties; only Ma listens patiently to his 10 p.m. queries. But of course, it is Ma who is the cause of the most worrying question of all, the one that Frankie can never bring himself to ask. Then the new girl arrives at school and has questions of her own: relentless, unavoidable questions. So begins the unravelling of Frankie Parson's carefully controlled world. So begins the painful business of fronting up to the unpalatable: the ultimate 10 p.m. question.

> Never published in French, I think the plot is original, and I really like the cover.

----------------------------

Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery

<image>

Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert are in for a big surprise. They are waiting for an orphan boy to help with the work at Green Gables - but a skinny, red-haired girl turns up instead. Feisty and full of spirit, Anne Shirley charms her way into the Cuthberts' affection with her vivid imagination and constant chatter. It's not long before Anne finds herself in trouble, but soon it becomes impossible for the Cuthberts to imagine life without 'their' Anne - and for the people of Avonlea to recall what it was like before this wildly creative little girl whirled into town.

> It's a classic one that I have never read, but I've seen many positive reviews lately. This cover is actually an edition where you can find "Anne of Avonlea" as well, which is a sequel of "Anne of Green Gables"

• Nathalie

Ex-Team

#3 31 Mai 2011 14:11:43

I can only add one thing : voting is going to be hard  :D
  • Flo_boss

Lecteur averti

#4 31 Mai 2011 14:28:11

Nathalie a écrit

I can only add one thing : voting is going to be hard  :D

Agreed! :D  I hope a lot of people will vote so that we avoid ties!

• Miss Spooky Muffin

Mange-mots

#5 31 Mai 2011 15:29:01

Ties or multiple LC like last time :D
  • Flo_boss

Lecteur averti

#6 01 Juin 2011 11:17:18

Any more suggestions from someone else? If not, I might just come out with additional ones (and MSM too)! =D

Oh, and by the way, July sounds good to me for the date, as long as it is end of July (time for us to vote for the book, buy it, read it, etc.). Or even early August in case summer vacations are overlapping with the date for some of us...
  • Nathalie

Ex-Team

#7 01 Juin 2011 16:18:20

Yes I've got one :

Kraken, by China Mieville

<image>

Deep in the research wing of the Natural History Museum is a prize specimen, something that comes along much less often than once in a lifetime: a perfect, and perfectly preserved, giant squid. But what does it mean when the creature suddenly and impossibly disappears? For curator Billy Harrow it's the start of a headlong pitch into a London of warring cults, surreal magic, apostates and assassins. It might just be that the creature he's been preserving is more than a biological rarity: there are those who are sure it's a god. A god that someone is hoping will end the world.

MSM knows where that book comes from  :D

• Heclea

Aventurier des manuscrits perdus

#8 01 Juin 2011 22:38:34

OMG, I can't wait to vote :lol:

I'll be hard, but I'm pretty sure we find one or more books for common reading !

I'm doing a list of books to buy at the end of the month when I'll be in London so thanks a lot for all these suggestions :D

When do we vote ?
  • Miss Spooky Muffin

Mange-mots

#9 02 Juin 2011 11:07:55

Well, let's say that Flo can still suggest some books and we'll vote after that, if no one else has other ideas =)
  • Lyra Sullyvan

Accro des mots

#10 02 Juin 2011 16:05:03

I've got one to suggest : Blake Charlton - Spellwright

<image>

Harper Collins, 464p.

In a world where words can come to life, an inability to spell can be a dangerous thing. And no one knows this better than apprentice wizard Nicodemus Weal.

Nicodemus Weal is a cacographer, unable to reproduce even simple magical texts without ‘misspelling’ – a mistake which can have deadly consequences. He was supposed to be the Halcyon, a magic-user of unsurpassed power, destined to save the world; instead he is restricted to menial tasks, and mocked for his failure to live up to the prophecy.

But not everyone interprets prophecy in the same way. There are some factions who believe a cacographer such as Nicodemus could hold great power – power that might be used as easily for evil as for good. And when two of the wizards closest to Nicodemus are found dead, it becomes clear that some of those factions will stop at nothing to find the apprentice and bend him to their will…

And I believe it doesn't exist in French yet.

Dernière modification par Lyra Sullyvan (02 Juin 2011 16:11:25)