[LC VO] Proposals for the next LC VO

• Flo_boss

Lecteur averti

#11 03 Juin 2011 11:23:58

Miss Spooky Muffin a écrit

Well, let's say that Flo can still suggest some books and we'll vote after that, if no one else has other ideas =)

Well, I believe that with Nath and Lyra's suggestions, the vote will be hard enough for me not to suggest anything else =) So I'll pass on this one, and just wait for the vote to staaaart!! :aouh:

• Miss Spooky Muffin

Mange-mots

#12 03 Juin 2011 12:02:02

Vote is ready!
  • Miss Spooky Muffin

Mange-mots

#13 05 Octobre 2011 11:29:25

Hey guys, I'm reusing an old subject because maybe it's not worth creating a new one each time.

The last LC organized by Lyra has ended (sorry for having missed it) so I was thinking, I have almost no LC these days... should we think about the next one? Halloween is coming soon so maybe we could have gone for some scary stuff, what do you think? Anyone has anything to suggest?

Dernière modification par Miss Spooky Muffin (05 Octobre 2011 11:29:35)

• Flo_boss

Lecteur averti

#14 05 Octobre 2011 11:44:23

That's a great initiative MSM! I missed the previous LC as well, so I would be happy to join in this new one!
    Unfortunately I don't have any "scary" English book on my shelves for the moment, and no book in mind to suggest. I'd be happy to look at your suggestions, and maybe try to think of some myself in case no one is really inspired. ;)
    Looking forward to seeing what you guys have in mind!
  • Miss Spooky Muffin

Mange-mots

#15 05 Octobre 2011 13:33:47

Hum, my scary books... let's see...

From Very Scary to Not So Scary:

<image>

The Hellbound Heart is one of Barker's best, a nerve-shattering novella about the human heart and all the great terrors and ecstasies within its endless domain. It is about greed and love, lovelessness and despair, desire and death, life and captivity, bells and blood. It is one of the most dead-frightening stories you are likely to ever read.

Alright, Barker dark novels... they are really quite scary (and a bit gore). But the style is awesome.

<image>

When archetypal 10-year-old Harvey Swick desperately wishes to be delivered from a boring February afternoon, he is miraculously rescued by Rictus, a smiling (if somewhat sinister) creature. Rictus takes Harvey to the Holiday House, where every morning is spring, every afternoon is summer and every evening offers Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas in quick succession. Barker masterfully embroiders this fantasy world with a mounting number of grim, even gruesome details. Harvey must heroically battle what is gradually revealed to be the malevolent force behind the Holiday House in order to save not only himself but all its previous young guests.

Same author but children book this time. I freaking loved it when I was young, it's about this strange house where the time flows differently... the illustrations are very gruesome.

<image>

Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she's been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home--her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power--and the courage to fight her own inner demons?

No idea how scary this is, this is more fantasy but well... it doesn't look very shiny glitters and all that, right?

Alright, that's not much, but I am having trouble to find books 1/I didn't already read 2/not too hard 3/scary 4/that I know enough about to know it's not crap. I think I'll need to browse some English blogs and read reviews, because even though there's a long list of horror writers, I don't know how to choose between them. I am not very fond of Stephen King, which is why he's not even here either...

Will be back for more, fellows! But please suggest some if you have any idea!

• Nelfe

Aventurier des manuscrits perdus

#16 05 Octobre 2011 13:38:32

Oh, I doesn't know you organize LC in english! Great!
    I begin to read in this tongue, so maybe it's to soon to join you but in few months, there'll be ok! :)
  • Flo_boss

Lecteur averti

#17 05 Octobre 2011 13:51:22

Wow, these first three already look nice for a good slice of scary reading! Thanks for your suggestions, I'll try to come out with some as well (but probably not today).
    And I aligm with you MSM, I'm not a big fan of Stephen King either, plus the whole purpose of these readings is to read books that've never been translated into French!
  • Miss Spooky Muffin

Mange-mots

#18 05 Octobre 2011 13:52:34

Hi Nelfe, that would be a pleasure to have you with us! We can always pick children books and easy ones if someone asks, that's no problem. And if you have ideas, even if you cannot join, please let us know!

(Flo, I think the Barkers have all been translated... but they're still nice to read in English. I'll keep investigating anyway.)
  • Miss Spooky Muffin

Mange-mots

#19 05 Octobre 2011 14:32:01

Alright, it's me again, sorry for the double posting. I found some great ones on the Un:bound blog that I follow from time to time, here they are:

<image>

Uncle Montague lives alone in a big house and his regular visits from his nephew give him the opportunity to relive some of the most frightening stories he knows. But as the stories unfold, a newer and more surprising narrative emerges, one that is perhaps the most frightening of all. Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror, it transpires, are not so much works of imagination as dreadful lurking memories. Memories of an earlier time in which Uncle Montague lived a very different life to his present solitary existence.

It's for young readers, apparently short stories about horrible things happening to kids. The cover is lovely. It's a classic in US apparently. I think even if we don't pick it for the LC, I'm buying this one!

<image>

The sister is a knife-thrower in a magician's stage act, the brother an undertaker's assistant. Neither orphan knows of the other's existence. Until, that is, three terrible Aunts descend on the girl's house and imprison her guardian, the Great Cardamom. His dying act is to pass the girl a note with clues to the secret he carries to his grave. Cardamom was one of three explorers on an expedition to locate the legendary Amarant, a plant with power over life and death. Now, pursued by flesh-eating crow-like ghuls, brother and sister must decode the message and save themselves from its sinister legacy.

This one is a bit more fantasy apparently but the reviewer says "There is adventure, creepiness, death, and all the elements of the best traditional fairy tales, except actual fairies" and I like that. Want!

<image>

Some doors are better left closed...In Barrington House, an upmarket block in London, there is an empty apartment. No one goes in, no one comes out. And it's been that way for fifty years. Until the night watchman hears a disturbance after midnight and investigates. What he experiences is enough to change his life forever. A young American woman, Apryl, arrives at Barrington House. She's been left an apartment by her mysterious Great Aunt Lillian who died in strange circumstances. Rumours claim Lillian was mad. But her diary suggests she was implicated in a horrific and inexplicable event decades ago. Determined to learn something of this eccentric woman, Apryl begins to unravel the hidden story of Barrington House. She discovers that a transforming, evil force still inhabits the building. And the doorway to Apartment 16 is a gateway to something altogether more terrifying...

More adult reader this one, it's about a haunted house... who doesn't love haunted houses?!

This time I'm done with suggestions guys, do your best, and let's do a vote like usual when everyone is ready?

• Nelfe

Aventurier des manuscrits perdus

#20 05 Octobre 2011 14:42:27

Miss Spooky Muffin a écrit

Hi Nelfe, that would be a pleasure to have you with us! We can always pick children books and easy ones if someone asks, that's no problem. And if you have ideas, even if you cannot join, please let us know!

If someone else wants to read an easy book, it'll be a pleasure to read this book with you. But if I am the only beginer don't worry, I must patient ;)

I'll look if I find an idea too!