Nouvelle section pour discutailler en anglais ou autre

• Amethyst

Constructeur de PAL

#11 28 Juillet 2010 13:24:41

It's a very good idea !!
  • Bambi_slaughter

Chouchou des imprimeurs

#12 28 Juillet 2010 13:25:40

Me too, I've  some english books (HP 1, Fragile Things of Neil Gaiman, Animal Farm of George Orwell, Kiss Kiss of Roald Dahl and City of bones of Michael Connelly) and I begin all these books but I never finish one of them.
    But I think I try to read HP first.

Dernière modification par Bambi_Slaughter (28 Juillet 2010 13:27:09)

• Erato

Dévoreur de PAL

#13 28 Juillet 2010 13:32:28

Bambi_Slaughter : I think you should begin with HP :pink:
    It's easy to understand ^^
    I have in my book case : Merde actually, a little princess in english. I hope I can buy another English books :D
  • Phooka

Dévaliseur de rayonnages

#14 28 Juillet 2010 13:44:39

At work, english is the official language (for meetings, administrative notes and so on!), but since we all come from various countries (incluing english monther tongue people, but also spanish, italian, hungarian, russian, german aso..) then our english is quite strange! A mixture of all sort of languages, so please don't laugh! =D
  • Miss Spooky Muffin

Mange-mots

#15 28 Juillet 2010 13:52:11

I've got the same as you Phooka, strangers everywhere and almost nobody speaks the official English, but it's even more fun like that ;)

Can we present VO books in this section or is it just for small talk?
  • Taliesin

Correcteur Bibliomania

#16 28 Juillet 2010 14:11:23

I want to read english books too, because for nom I only read comic-books in English... And I'm so intelligent, that I have bought the nine first "South Community" with the idea to read them, but in fact I don't want to read these books :P
    I will ask to my brother to give me ideas of "easy" books in English that I could like... because I have read HP in French and it was fun, but I have no envy to read it in English...
  • baba

Admin développeur

#17 28 Juillet 2010 14:40:59

Miss Spooky Muffin a écrit

I've got the same as you Phooka, strangers everywhere and almost nobody speaks the official English, but it's even more fun like that ;)

Can we present VO books in this section or is it just for small talk?

Actually, this section is new so you can do what you want ^^ It's like every other section, each member can open a thread about what he wants, what he likes. The only thing to respect here is not to talk french.

Presenting these books can be very interesting. Sometimes, the translation sucks like hell... Or we can present some books not published in France, some sort of "previews".

• Miss Spooky Muffin

Mange-mots

#18 28 Juillet 2010 16:07:14

baba a écrit

Presenting these books can be very interesting. Sometimes, the translation sucks like hell... Or we can present some books not published in France, some sort of "previews".

Don't start me on the translations that suck like hell, you'll never see the end of it :D
    I was more thinking about non-translated books, I'll have a look at my shelves and maybe present something.

• JuNa62

Puits de lecture

#19 28 Juillet 2010 16:08:06

Begin a section to talk in english, spanish german aso was a great idea!
    At the moment I'm reading 'Betrayed' the second volume of the House of night novels in english of course! =D
  • SebCargis

A la découverte des livres

#20 28 Juillet 2010 18:36:48

Bambi_Slaughter a écrit

But I think I try to read HP first.

Hagrid speaks a little funny, "eating" letters and using slang, so he can be a bit difficult to understand when he speaks.

I like to read in english when I can get my hands on an english books (partly because their covers are often prettier than the french ones), for starters I'd rather advise some Tom Clancy books (if you like it, of course :) ). The Anita Blake novels should be fairly easy, too.

If you're a bit used to middle-age/ heroic fantasy vocabulary, Ellis Peters (Brother Cadfael stories) or Robin Hobb should be easy enough.

On the contrary, stay away from Wuthering Heights (E. Brontë) if you're not at ease with english, it can be pretty hard to understand sometimes ...

BTW, I tried once to read The Metamorphosis from Kafka, in a dual french / german book ... Needless to say, I only red the french part ;)

Dernière modification par Louppatient (28 Juillet 2010 18:52:36)