How many english/foreigned books have you read in your entire life ?

Sondage - How much english/foreigned books have you read in your entire life ?

0 (I don't understand the question or I never tried)
5% - 16
1 (I tried but... not for me/too hard)
10% - 29
6% - 19
5% - 16
4% - 12
3% - 11
6-10 (included)
11% - 33
11-20
13% - 37
21-30
5% - 15
31... and beyond ! (c) Buzz
32% - 92

Total : 280

• Taliesin

Correcteur Bibliomania

#181 04 Juin 2011 23:28:52

You know you can make multiple quotations and answers in only one message ? It's bette than doing many messages ;)
  • odakawoi

Baby lecteur

#182 05 Juin 2011 14:15:44

jellybells a écrit

I've read 33 books in english (in one year). And I'm reading number 34 & 35

Oh my...

• Lelf

A moitié noyé sous sa PAL

#183 05 Juin 2011 14:30:08

Taliesin a écrit

You know you can make multiple quotations and answers in only one message ? It's bette than doing many messages ;)

Not only you CAN, Inkofmylife, but you HAVE TO.
    Multiple posts are considered "flood", which is stricly forbidden on any forum. We sometimes tolerate double posts (even if we'd prefer you to edit), but never more.
    Thank you for your understanding

• Electra

Baby lecteur

#184 10 Juin 2011 10:53:09

I'm fluent in English, so I've always read English books. I've lived in the US for many years, and majored in English, and taught English as well.

About reading in English, I think some books are easier to start with, I know that some people are willing to start with The Lord of the Rings and it's a bad idea, trust me, the vocabulary is not the common one. But you can find books to start with, and it gets easier with time.

As for where to find books in English, since I mostly read in English, I find them in my city (Nantes) at Durance library for sure, but also at the FNAC (they do have English books, thrillers, fantasy, classics, etc.), at the "Leclerc Culturel" store (Paridis), I don't know who orders books over there, but we definitely share the same taste ;) , and in two different second hand bookstores, one behind the Place Royale, another one in the Bouffay.
    I just bought a few books (prize goes btw €2.00 and €4.00).

I also order English books on Amazon.

At the city library (Médiathèque), they also have an English section books, but two small for me, though :-1:  Actually, I should check out if they accept donations ? Anyone knows ?
  • InkofmyLife

Commis de lecture

#185 17 Juin 2011 13:39:32

Lelf a écrit

Taliesin a écrit

Not only you CAN, Inkofmylife, but you HAVE TO.
    Multiple posts are considered "flood", which is stricly forbidden on any forum. We sometimes tolerate double posts (even if we'd prefer you to edit), but never more.
    Thank you for your understanding

OMG I'm so sorry I didn't know :$ I don't know how it became in one post but it's good anyway :)

• Grazyel

Petit joueur sur les mots

#186 25 Juin 2011 23:29:12

My english is so awful, and I'm afraid to not understand books in english.. But, I think that I should try, like that, I could improve me.. (or not T_T, even if I've watched lot of movies in english, I'm already useless...)

*I'm shy, especially when I speak english* oops
  • Kourai

Improvisateur de marque-pages

#187 25 Juin 2011 23:52:01

I have no idea how many books I've read in English, must be about 20 or so. I'm a native english speaker so it's kinda normal. But it's true that I've read more books in french than in english, that's because it's easier to buy and cheaper when you live in a french country. But I've recently discovered Amazon UK, it's way cheaper and I can read my favorite books in their written language. So I've been stocking up on english books for the past few weeks =D.

@Grazyel: It's normal to be shy when you're trying to speak a language that you don't totally understand but it's real fun when you just try. The people that you'll talk to will generally be very glad that you're trying. As for the books, it's not that hard when you get the hang of it, arm yourself with a good dictionary (in case of) and a easy to understand book and you'll be just fine. Good luck if ever you do try :D
  • Grazyel

Petit joueur sur les mots

#188 26 Juin 2011 12:14:15

Kourai a écrit

@Grazyel: It's normal to be shy when you're trying to speak a language that you don't totally understand but it's real fun when you just try. The people that you'll talk to will generally be very glad that you're trying. As for the books, it's not that hard when you get the hang of it, arm yourself with a good dictionary (in case of) and a easy to understand book and you'll be just fine. Good luck if ever you do try :D

Thank you !
    It's true, I've already spoken with an english guy, and he was totally amused ^^ (he was so cute) But, I have some friends who speak english, and when I hear them, I'm afraid, she don't help me... one of them said : "non, mais ça n'empêche pas que je pense que tu n'es qu'une merde en anglais"... She isn't mean, but, she makes me feel bad...
    So, I want to take my revenge and read some books in english XDDD like that, I could talk to her (maybe XD).
    More seriously, it will be for me if I read an english book, not for her ^^ because I need to speak english, for my future.

• InkofmyLife

Commis de lecture

#189 26 Juin 2011 14:19:42

Grazyel a écrit

Kourai a écrit

Thank you !
    It's true, I've already spoken with an english guy, and he was totally amused ^^ (he was so cute) But, I have some friends who speak english, and when I hear them, I'm afraid, she don't help me... one of them said : "non, mais ça n'empêche pas que je pense que tu n'es qu'une merde en anglais"... She isn't mean, but, she makes me feel bad...
    So, I want to take my revenge and read some books in english XDDD like that, I could talk to her (maybe XD).
    More seriously, it will be for me if I read an english book, not for her ^^ because I need to speak english, for my future.

That's right, you're doing it for youSELF not for her. It wasn't something nice to say to you, not encouraging at all! But tought all, you're going to start reading (me too^^) and we'll improve our English level together ;)

• Kourai

Improvisateur de marque-pages

#190 26 Juin 2011 14:25:40

InkofmyLife a écrit

Grazyel a écrit

Kourai a écrit

Thank you !

That's right, you're doing it for youSELF not for her. It wasn't something nice to say to you, not encouraging at all! But tought all, you're going to start reading (me too^^) and we'll improve our English level together ;)

It's nice to see so many motivated people. We could have a "lecture commune" in English. If it doesn't already exist... I'm new so I'm not too sure. But it would be cool! If ever someone is stuck because they just don't understand a phrase or a whole page then they can ask the others that are reading the book :D.

What do you guys think?