The bar, open all the day and all the night ! :D

• Lelf

A moitié noyé sous sa PAL

#21 08 Février 2011 14:03:56

Reading and talking is the best for some people. My boyfriend was not really good in english at school but he started to read in english not to wait for the translation of his favourite series. And now he plays games on his computer with people of many different countries and he learns a lot of vocabulary, phrases... (But he learns too fast, it's not fair =) ).
    He still doesn't really know how to speak but he often has to with his job (he's doing a PhD).
  • Lyra Sullyvan

Accro des mots

#22 08 Février 2011 14:10:33

I didn't really learn that much english at school. Well, basics of course. But I really start to improve my english by reading and watching series and movies in english. First with french subtitles, and then english. Now I'm slowly starting to watch in english without subtitles. :)

Anyway I think it's important to speak/write too, having to create sentences is a good way to learn, especially if someone explain you your mistakes. :)
  • Miss Spooky Muffin

Mange-mots

#23 08 Février 2011 14:17:53

Yeah, speaking with native is good, but God knows how you suffer at the beginning. When I was in Cambridge, many of my colleagues were coming from the suburb and middle-class families, and their accent was simply impossible to understand-and so was my accent for them. So well... first weeks are hell, but you get used to it eventually (except with some people you never do, hopefully they'll remain exceptions).

I know we love to complain about how school don't teach you proper English but having good teachers and working in English classes really help. Watching movies and reading books give you the rythm, the vocabulary, the habit, but it will never replace the bloody irregular verbs learning and all those sweet delicacies that high-school provides.

Dernière modification par Miss Spooky Muffin (08 Février 2011 14:18:06)

• Lalou

Georgia Nicolson

#24 08 Février 2011 14:21:43

I was pretty good in english at secondary school, but I've lost a big part of my knowledge during the last years.

During my superior studies, I had English Lessons, but it was really basic, and I had nothing to do to be part of the bests of the class. So, as I'm still myself, I did the minimum... and I didn't learn anything.

Now, I often have to write and speak english (in my company we work with a lot of foreign clients) but it's quite always the same sentences...

Thanks to Livraddict, I read in English. But... I think I have to be more patient. At this moment, I try to read "Seven Sorcerers" for the CR... and I'm so slow that I'm bored. So I stop reading and begin another book, in french.

I have to control myself to be more patient ^^
  • Lelf

A moitié noyé sous sa PAL

#25 08 Février 2011 14:23:45

My accent was not a problem in England personnally, I didn't have one =D
    Nobody could tell I was Frecnh, I was sooo proud :P
    But I had a roommate who had a horrible accent and I never understood her :goutte: But she was the perfect image of the teeager who makes no effort to be understood and swallow half of his words (and doesn't care if she have a party in your flat until 4am when you just want to sleep :x)
    Hem... Sorry =D

I've been to Newcastle, North England. Their accent is funny, but not too difficult to understand ^^

In school I studied english hard because I loooooved it. It was so easy for me and so interesting. Why haven't I studied languages, remind me ? :grat:
  • Miss Spooky Muffin

Mange-mots

#26 08 Février 2011 14:33:34

Lelf a écrit

My accent was not a problem in England personnally, I didn't have one =D
    Nobody could tell I was Frecnh, I was sooo proud :P

Maybe they were just polite? :P (kidding)
    Yeah, depends where you go, who you talk to. Not so many people have the patience to acknowledge you're a foreigner and that they should speak slowly, so most of the time you just have to try and understand what you can. I didn't speak to people in London so I don't know, but between Cambridge, Manchester and Liverpool, you have have enough local accent (borderline local English) to make you think about going all out for sign language :D

• Lalou

Georgia Nicolson

#27 08 Février 2011 14:35:33

It would be a radical solution, the sign language.

But... how to do on the Internet? ;)
  • Miss Spooky Muffin

Mange-mots

#28 08 Février 2011 14:39:52

They don't have accent on the Internet, silly =)
  • Max Hell

Lecteur professionnel

#29 08 Février 2011 17:34:30

Miss Spooky Muffin a écrit

They don't have accent on the Internet, silly =)

:lol: Yes Don't have any accent :lol:

• Luthien

Parent d une bébé PAL

#30 11 Février 2011 20:14:00

*Enter in the bar.*

At junior high school, I used to dislike English and I didn't have so good teachers. Eventually, in secondary school, I played some international games on Internet and frequented international forum so I really learn more English and begin to like this language.
    Now, at university, I don't really practice (the lessons are not really so good...) but I like this language and I try to practice by myself. I still never have read a book in English but I hope to do one day. I wish for Harry Potter.