How many english/foreigned books have you read in your entire life ?

Sondage - How much english/foreigned books have you read in your entire life ?

0 (I don't understand the question or I never tried)
5% - 16
1 (I tried but... not for me/too hard)
10% - 29
6% - 19
5% - 16
4% - 12
3% - 11
6-10 (included)
11% - 33
11-20
13% - 37
21-30
5% - 15
31... and beyond ! (c) Buzz
32% - 92

Total : 280

• bubblegirl67

Chercheur de mots

#211 17 Septembre 2012 09:34:07

barbouille a écrit

nobody can help me to choice my first book in english?

I started to read in english with "The Wonderful wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum. When I understood that a "journey" wasn't the traduction of "journée" in french, the book was very easy to read.

For the moment, I read 17 books and I still have in my Pal ^^

• barbouille

Pèlerin des mots

#212 17 Septembre 2012 11:52:42

thanks I going to try to find it, and to read.....:tim:
  • Nakumi

Dompteur de pages

#213 18 Septembre 2012 21:57:55

I was told that the Harry Potter are quite simple too ^^

Today I started the Univversity in English and German, so I'm going to read many books in thos languages ^^
  • barbouille

Pèlerin des mots

#214 19 Septembre 2012 18:24:33

Finally,I'm going to read Harry Potter.
  • Ourlig

Cajoleur de couvertures

#215 30 Septembre 2012 21:29:23

I'd say between 21 and 30 for me, but it's may be a wee bit more. a couple of harry potter, 10 pratchett, 2 philip k dick, 2 hemingway, 1 conrad, 2 bukowsky, 1 lovecraft, 1 kundera plus 3 Bill Waterson (I don't know if a comic book count as a book. It doesn't feel that way) plus of course those I may have forgotten.

I've been in Ireland for nearly a year (thanks to Erasmus exchange program) and I read mostly after that stay to keep practicing my english.

To answer Barbouille's question, I found it a bit difficult to start reading fantasy as there are quite a lot of complex/imagined vocabulary in these books. Moreover, it's quite common to have a character butchering both grammar and spelling in order to create a peculiar accent. In that matter, Hagrid was a real nightmare when I first read harry potter. I think the real trick is to go to a bookshop, take three or four books you actually want to read and try a random sentence/paragraph in eah one just to see if the author's style isn't too complex for you. I know doing this would have avoided me some purchases I still can't read ( Joyce's Ulysses or the seed and the sower by Van der Post for example)
  • reivax

Gollum littéraire

#216 12 Octobre 2012 14:48:23

Said more than 31:

I've been living in Dublin for more than 8 years now so I have no choice as books in French are kinda difficult to find (at reasonable price) in the Dirty Old Town.

I started to "backlist" reading the American and English books I loved when I read them in French ( On the Road, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Dracula....) then I started discovering books.... and now, as a rule, if a writer is an English speaker I won't read the book in French (except for Shakespeare's plays....)

Sita a écrit

books are cheaper in english =D

I do not have this feeling as in Dublin a paperback edition if it is not on promotion will cost you an average of 10-15 Euros wheras in France you could get a "Livre de Poche" edidition for about 6-8 Eu

Regards

• Aline1102

Baby lecteur

#217 05 Novembre 2012 14:45:51

I don't even know how many books I've read in English.... I began really early, when I was still quite young, so it's difficult to remember which ones I've read.
  • moushki

Baby lecteur

#218 31 Janvier 2013 17:37:38

I don't know how many books I have read exactly, but a lot.

And I agree with reivax, English books are not cheap at all... Unless it's a Penguin Popular Classic edition.
  • JamesStark

Baby lecteur

#219 02 Juillet 2013 12:37:50

Acording to me , I have read tree books in English ... It was difficult but I have do it
  • Chatperlipopette_

A la découverte des livres

#220 02 Juillet 2013 15:09:57

I never read in english but I plan to. I have one which is waiting for me, I hope it will be OK.
    The only foreign books I read are japanese comics/manga, I can't read japanese novels for the moment because it's too hard.