Objectif : Écrire dans une langue étrangère un peu chaque jour !

• Cendre

Gollum littéraire

#81 09 Avril 2020 12:00:06

Ellea: I am still surprised to see that people from  Quebec are not all totally fluent in English. I mean, I have the impression that the English part of the country makes no efforts to try to talk to you in French, forcing you to talk in English since a very young age. It looks like a social pressure, for example for all the administrative stuff. Good luck with your teacher!

Thecatlady: Hey, I recently said on the forum that making mistakes was not really important, at least orally. But it does not mean that you don't have to try to improve because, at the end it is always rewarding. And you will never improve faster than when you are trying and trying again, learning from your mistakes. 
    I love watching movies in VO too. There are so many more emotions in the voices of the actors :) I use subtitles, in French most of the times but sometimes in VO too. I tried without subtitles at all also. Well, it worked well for some movies. For other, it was a nightmare, depending on the accents (avoid Matthew McConaughey... trauma for me :lol:) and the complexity of the vocabulary. If you want to start watching movies with English subtitles or no subtitles, I advice you to start with English actors... as we are more familiar with this accent. It is the one that we hear at school. I successfully watched X-Men: First Class without subtitles ten years ago. James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are easy to understand. And the story is quite simple too ;)
    Now, when  I want to watch something without subtitles, I prefer short videos on Youtube on a subject that I am familiar with. I usually understand everything so it is much more satisfying.

Truculent_ichneumon: HP and Percy Jackson are good choices to start. The first time I really read a book in English (meaning I read the whole book and it was not a bilingual edition), it was HP7. At the beginning I did like you Ellea, having the dictionary ready and opening it every 30 seconds ^^ And it bored me soooooo much that I decided to not search for the meaning of every single word I did not understand as long as I understood the general idea of the sentence or §.  And it was so much better! Percy Jackson seems to be written with very simple  vocabulary so it should be a good choice!
    To be honest since that time, I ve never read another novel in English (I read and write in English everyday at work but it is not really for pleasure) but I plan to do so this year. I already have 3 books in my PAL :Circe, the winter of the witch and The ocean at the end of the lane.
    I cant' believe such a person became an English teacher... what a shame! When I read this, I don't even wonder  why French people sucks so badly in English....

Dernière modification par Cendre (09 Avril 2020 17:28:21)

• Caedy

Casual lecteur

#82 09 Avril 2020 16:38:41

Hi Hi Hi :cachecache:

MikeKol : I'm really surprised that you didn't learn English for -- at least -- 3 years ! In my hometown, one could learn German as a first language but they have to learn English as well. It was called "bilingual classes" (even though it wasn't a real bilingual class).

Ellea : As Cendre, I'm really surprised ! Maybe I'm too naive but I just assumed that french speaking Canadians were fluent in English as well. I don't know why but I was thinking everybody in multilingual countries was near from being bilingual at least.

Truculent_ichneumon, MikeKol, Thecatlady: I think, the main reason why french people struggle so much with speaking in English is that we are really judgmental.
    When I was in middle or high school some students would make fun of others because they speak too bad or too well ; If your accent war poor, they make fun of it but if you speak well or try to adopt the right accent, they were like "Oh my ! Look how he/she shows off ! Just a teacher's asskisser !".
    You can't learn if you're not in a "safe place"...

Cendre : The Ocean at the end of the lane seems really interesting ! I hope you'll succeed to read in English again. As for me, my first novel in English was a Game of Thrones. Since then I try to keep reading those novels in English. To be honest, I take ages to read them :goutte: (I read the first one in 2013 and I'm only at the forth one)

私は幸せです。お元気ですか?

Dernière modification par Caedy (09 Avril 2020 16:38:58)

• Ellea

Lecteur du dimanche

#83 09 Avril 2020 18:52:20

It's true that we have a lot of pressure about speaking in English. And that the English part of the country, doesn't make a lot of effort for speaking French, if they do. Here, English is one of the most important classes since childhood. But truthfully, in all the English teachers I got, only one was really interest in make sure is students really understand and get better. And it was one of the last I got, so I struggled with English for years.

I live in a small town, and the only cinema around here, have just two rooms, which most of the time, only show movies in English, sometimes the woman taking care of it succeed in getting a movie in French, but that doesn't happen a lot sadly, because "hey, we should be able to understand the English one".

People do tend to think that we all speak English, and that if you speak French, well you're from France, or something. It's always funny when I say I'm from quebec. But if a lot of people talk both languages, I also see a lot who don't understand a single word in English, and yes, life is very difficult for them. For school, for everyday life, but also for work, since very few places accept people who don't speak English. They don't care that much if you don't speak French, but the opposite is a big no. My mother lost the chance to work at a place just because if she understands and talk English, she's not bilingual.
  • Caedy

Casual lecteur

#84 11 Avril 2020 16:51:06

Ellea : I see.. It seems really difficult to leave in Quebec if you aren't fluent in English then.. To be honest, I have no clue about it. I thought the population was mostly bilingual but I wasn't expecting some "job rejection" if you weren't fluent. :goutte:

私は二十六さいです。何さいですか?
  • Caedy

Casual lecteur

#85 17 Avril 2020 22:01:42

Hello, is anyone here ?

私はフランス出身です。どこ出身ですか?
  • Truculent_ichneumon

Dévaliseur de rayonnages

#86 18 Avril 2020 14:32:20

Hello, I'm still here =) ! I hope I'm not the only one. But I don't understand japanese :goutte:.
    So, what could we talk of now ?
  • OrcadianSky

Préposé aux marque-pages

#87 18 Avril 2020 14:56:01

Caedy a écrit

Hello, is anyone here ?

私はフランス出身です。どこ出身ですか?

私は、フランス出身です。でも、2013年8月から、スコットランドに住んでいます。お仕事は、何ですか。

Truculent: you can talk about whatever you want. What about hobbies? I know we're all confined, but what are we all doing to kill time?
    For my part I try to focus on the work I have to do for my master's degree. And I spend a lot of time playing video games. Next Monday is 'back to work'. Remotely of course. This means putting learning content on Teams for the pupils to access.

Dernière modification par OrcadianSky (18 Avril 2020 14:58:26)

• Caedy

Casual lecteur

#88 18 Avril 2020 17:59:05

Hey hey :cachecache:

Truculent_ichneumon : Phew ! I felt so lonely ! I'm so glad to see you in here and hope you'll be as engaged in this topic as you are in another. :clapi:
    As OrcadianSky said, I'm curious to know what are you about lately.

OrcadianSky : 私は日本語を少し話せます。私は小学校の教師です。お仕事は何ですか?オーカジャンスカイさんも先生ですか?
    I keep on in English because my Japanese is too poor :lol: : It's so cool you've been in Scotland for almost 7 years ! How is it to leave there ? One day, I would like to visit this country.
    What are you studying or teaching ? ( せんこうは何ですか?*not sure about that*)
    Tbh I'm not sure if I fully understand what you've meant. I think that you're either a Uni lecturer or a teacher who studying in college at the same time...:grat:)
  • Aealo

Lecteur fou

#89 18 Avril 2020 18:11:36

Hi everybody!
    I have a rusted level in English. It should be a great idea to try practising again. So, here I am... :goutte:
    Since the beginning of containment, I try to learn Japanese and Korean but it's just beginning : writing letters, listening sounds...
    I'm happy to be here... and to try... :goutte:
  • beckygirly

Collectionneur de pages

#90 18 Avril 2020 18:48:19

Hi  everyone,

I really like the idea of talking in English with you.

OrcadianSky: waou! Living in Scotland? That's so great! I've been there twice, it's an impressive country, I really loved the landscapes and how people were cool and nice to me and my friends.

Aealo: I like your enthusiasm about learning new languages, especially those 2. I don't feel like I'm capable of doing this anymore.

Well, during the lockdown I'm working and  reading a lot. Not very exciting =D.