Which book are you reading this week?

• Shuufleur

Lecteur timide

#271 02 Mars 2020 19:27:08

Hullo,

I just started reading The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick.  I first watched (finished season 2 last month) the tv show and I couldn't resist buying the book when I saw it in the bookshop. I only read about 20 pages but it's already different from the tv show, so I think I'll be able to separate the two quite easily and not be disappointed in either medium (hopefully). I rather like the beginning of the book!

@camicam: I don't have any particular books to recommend, but you should look at children's books/tales or YA books because it's easier to understand. Or you could read a story you've already read in French so you basically know what happens and don't really need to focus on that. If I were you, I'd try the more recent published books or shorts stories, novellas, etc. because as time goes by, language becomes simpler and gets easier to understand. Mostly. Though, if you happen to read Jane Austen or Dickens, you'll find many French words in there so...

Now that I think about it, I think a read an abridged version of Pride and Prejudice, in which the story was kept as it is but with a simpler vocabulary/syntax. You could also try to see what Harrap's bilingual collection proposes, or any other publisher with the same type of collection.

Hope this helps!
  • missmolko1

VIP des bibliothèques

#272 02 Mars 2020 19:29:44

This week, I'm reading Death in focus by Anne Perry.
  • Ourlig

Cajoleur de couvertures

#273 02 Mars 2020 20:16:16

@Shuufleur, I didn't have the opportunity to see the TV series but The man in the high castle is a fantastic book, probably one of my favorites written by Dick (with Ubik). I started reading some conferences by the man himself and so far, it is not disappointing !

I recently got a few scifi books in English. I think I will start with Behold the Man by Moorcock (it fits a challenge I'm doing) and then one of the white whales of mine : Heinlein's Stranger in a strange land. But what I really want is to get my hands on Dune, just so I could read before the movie gets out. I already read it as a teenager (so a loooong time ago) but now my English is way better I would like to read it in English.
  • camicam

Néophyte de la lecture

#274 03 Mars 2020 14:02:07

Hi,

@Shuufleur thank you very much for your advices :)

I going to try Jane Austen. I also heard about To kill a mocking bird from Harper Lee.
  • cnslancelot

Espoir de la lecture

#275 03 Mars 2020 16:10:59

I'm finishing Ashes falling for the Sky from Nine Gorman and Mathieu Guibé
  • Ourlig

Cajoleur de couvertures

#276 03 Mars 2020 17:11:28

@Camican, to start reading in English, the advice I usually gave was to look for stories that you find compelling. Something you alredy read in French for example. YA can seem attractive but speculative fiction often contain some very specific vocabulary that you might have some difficulties understanding. (For that matter, one of the first english books I read was Harry Potter and The order of the Phoenix and I really struggled with Hagrid's speech pattern)
    But more importantly, try to read some random sentences from the book before buying it.
    I wish I did that before buying some of the books in English I still cannot read (yes, I was a fool and bought Ullysses)
    Also as Aiyana suggested, comic books can be great. I particularly enjoy comic strips such as Calvin and Hobbes or Cul-de-sac.
  • Ellea

Lecteur du dimanche

#277 17 Mars 2020 01:53:21

I love the idea of this topic. I read a lot in english, without problems, but I don't have a lot of chance to practice the writing part.
    Right now, I'm reading the serie The Witcher in french, I finish the first book lately, and going to start the second as soon as I have the chance to.
    After, when I would have finish all of them, which going to take some times, I have three english books on my shelf that I plan to read.
  • Ju feather

Lecteur timide

#278 23 Mars 2020 17:35:36

Hi everyone :)
    I'm currently reading Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.
    I really like her writing style even if I would not recommend it to people who just begin reading in English. It took me a few pages before I got used to her style.
    But I think Virginia Woolf writes beautiful and I will definitely read her others stories.

Have a nice day and take care :heart:
  • Paflamyrtilles

Livraddictien débutant

#279 06 Avril 2020 07:08:09

Hello !
    I just finish the third book of "La passe-miroire" , by Christelle Davos.

I find very difficult to give a "level" of reading for a book or another. For the ones here who struggle with english reading, what's your main problem if you can identify it ? Vocabulary ? Bad english -like Ourlig says for hagrid's in HP- ? or written/litterrary forms we don't learn at school ? Or just focus ?

I'm living in an english-speaking country, and for me, the harder is any book trying riddle or humor. I'm still so focus on the reading it-self that i can't really process this kind of thing !
    I tried a Pratchett : Awfully hard. I tried The Restaurant at the End Of The Univers (douglas adams, le dernier bar avant la fin du monde in French) one or two years ago and I couldn't. It's back on my reading list, i'll see if I can get through now !
  • Flatcat

Lecteur timide

#280 11 Mai 2020 22:07:19

Hello everyone,
    I am currently reading:  What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty .